Frequently Asked Questions
For your convenience, we’ve put together answers to a few frequently asked questions. If you don’t find your question answered here, please contact us:
Phone us at 770-998-9977 Monday – Saturday 11 am to 2 pm
E-mail us at information@ChristianScienceRoswell.org
If you don’t live in the Atlanta area, find your local Reading Room by looking in the phone book under “Christian Science”.
Question: What is Christian Science?
Answer: Christian Science is based on the words and works of Christ Jesus, and draws its authority from the Bible. Its teachings are set forth in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy. As the theology and ministry of Christ Jesus included spiritual healing, the same is true for Christian Science. In fact, Christian Scientists do not believe their theology to be new; they see it as a rediscovery of the teachings and practice of Christ Jesus, as relevant today as they were 2,000 years ago.
Question: Is Christian Science truly Christian?
Answer: Yes. Its foundation is the teaching and example of Christ Jesus. Christian Scientists take Christ Jesus’ promises and commands seriously, including that Christians should heal the sick as well as the sinning in his name.
Question: Why do you use the word “Science”?
Answer: It is Science because it is the systematic application of rules based on divine laws. Each individual therefore has unimpeded access to God’s love and the consistent operation of God’s laws.
Question: What is the Christian Science view of God?
Answer: We believe that God, Spirit, is the Supreme Being, the creator and governor of the universe. God is ever-present, all-knowing, all-powerful, and wholly good. God’s nature is seen through synonymous names for God used or implied in the Bible, including divine Mind, Spirit, Soul, Principle, Life, Truth, Love.
Question: How does mankind relate to God?
Answer: Every individual is actually the spiritual child of one Father-Mother, God. The true spiritual identity of everyone is the image and likeness of God, as the first chapter of Genesis makes clear (see especially verses 26 and 27). God’s children are His reflection, or expression, and are always under His infinite care.
Question: What is a Christian Science Reading Room?
Answer: A Christian Science Reading Room is a place where anyone can go to:
- Read and study the Bible (It’s probably one of the best Bible study resource centers in the community, with Bibles, Bible dictionaries, concordances, and Bible commentaries available for use.)
- Read the Weekly Bible Lesson (Each week a Bible Lesson on a timely topic is available to read. It consists of citations from the King James Bible and from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy.)
- Read other books and magazines about spirituality (Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy is among the books available to read and study.)
- Read or Purchase The Christian Science Monitor (The Monitor is a highly respected international daily newspaper. You can read the “paper” edition in our study room, or read the “treeless” edition on-line.)
- Use our computer (Log onto the Internet to visit www.spirituality.com and other Web sites with articles and information of interest to spiritual seekers; search for articles from past editions of “Christian Science Sentinel” and “The Christian Science Journal”; use our computerized concordance to the Bible and writings of Mary Baker Eddy.)
- Learn more about Mary Baker Eddy — the remarkable woman who discovered Christian Science and wrote Science and Health.
- Pray (The study room is a quiet place — a perfect place to pray.)
- Purchase literature to fuel your spiritual journey (The Bible, Science and Health, the Weekly Bible Lessons, books and magazines about spirituality, and biographies about Mary Baker Eddy are available to purchase. Some are also available to borrow in our Lending Library.)
Question: Do you have to be a Christian Scientist or attend Christian Science church services in order to use the Reading Room?
Answer: The Reading Room is for everyone. It isn’t just for Christian Scientists or those who attend Christian Science church services. Everyone is always welcome.